Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, April 6, 2018

Garbanzo Bean Tomato Curry


This is a fast week night meal. And it is delicious and vegan if you leave off the yogurt. I like to serve it with the cabbage cilantro slaw and brown basmati rice. When I had lots of fresh figs, I made a fig chutney that goes well with the curry. If you haven't made any chutney lately, a good quality grocery store brand works fine. Last time I made this, I didn't have any garbanzo beans and used white kidney beans instead. I actually liked it a little better, the beans were softer and creamier.
This makes enough for the two of us with enough left over for a light lunch.

Garbanzo Bean Curry

1 chopped onion
1 T finely chopped ginger
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 T oil (I always use olive, but coconut oil works well wit this dish)
1 T curry powder, I use British Curry from the Teeny Tiny Spice Company)
1 t cumin seeds
1/2 t mustard seeds, use the black ones if you can find them
dash of cayenne
1 can (15 1/2 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed or other bean of your choice
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes or 3 to 4 diced fresh tomatoes
salt
yogurt to top, leave off for vegan


In a frying pan, saute onion until soft. Add spices, ginger and garlic, cook just til fragrant about 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until soft if using fresh. Otherwise add canned tomatoes and beans at the same time. Cook until heated and flavors have blended, about 10 minutes, Spoon over rice and serve with yogurt, if desired. And Cabbage-Cilantro Slaw! 



1 comment: