Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Chocolate Weird Cake


I've renamed this cake. It is now called Chocolate Weird Cake in honor of Teresa Favuzzi who recently passed away. She was a strong disability rights activist and a kind and generous person. She often sang a song "weird is good." The recipe is a good one to make with grand kids as it all happens in the pan you bake it in. I've made this recipe for so many years that I've long since forgotten from where it came. This is a vegan cake. 


Chocolate Weird Cake

1 1/3 all purpose flour (I've never tried it with whole wheat, let me know how it turns out if you do.)
1 scant cup sugar
3 T cocoa (I used Ginger Elizabeth cocoa last time I made it.)
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 T vegetable oil (I used a good quality olive oil last time and it worked great.)
1 T vinegar (Any sort and you don't taste it in the final cake, so don't leave it out! Its part of the weirdness.)
1 T vanilla
1 cup cold water

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sift all the dry ingredients into an 8 x 8 x 2 square pan. 

Make 3 holes and put oil in one, vinegar in another and vanilla in the other. Pour water over the top and mix until blended. Bake 35 to 45 minute or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and serve from the pan.

Last time I made it I sprinkled about a 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips over the top before baking and sprinkled powdered sugar on top once it cooled. I never frost it. Serve it with whipped cream or my favorite - vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment