Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, February 14, 2020

Banana and Bittersweet Chocolate Jam

Had some over ripe bananas and was looking for a a way to use them. Instead of banana bread I checked one of my go to jam cookbooks and found this little gem. It was pretty easy and I adapted it slightly. It tastes good on toast and hubby tried it on vanilla ice cream and was quite pleased. So if you'd like a different way to use up bananas, give this recipe a try.


Banana and Bittersweet Chocolate Jam

1 lb bananas
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, 70% (I used mostly 70%, but did not have quite enough so used a couple ounces of 65%, still turned out excellent)
3 1/2 oz. water
juice of half a lemon
1 t. grated orange zest

Peel and cut the bananas into 1/2 inch rounds. Put banana slices, water, sugar, lemon juice and orange zest into a pan. Heat until it simmers and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, place in a bowl or leave in the pan, and cover loosely with parchment paper or foil. Refrigerate over night.

Next day, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring gently. Skim foam as necessary. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Return to a boil, continuing to stir. Turn off heat and test. Place on small plate that's been in the freezer. Allow to cool. Push your finger through it and if does not flow back together it is done. If it is not thickened to your liking, return to a boil, reduce heat, stir and cook another 5 minutes. Test again and repeat as often as needed. Mine was set after one additional boil and simmer. Pour jam into jars. 

Since I do not seal my jars, keep the jam refrigerated. Not sure if it will freeze well. I'll update the recipe, if I test it out. Should keep 6 months or more in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment