Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, February 7, 2020

Lamb Ragu

Here is a really delicious ragu. It is made with ground lamb, onions and tomatoes. Super simple. As you know hubby loves pasta of any sort. This was such a hit. And a good source of protein for him. The noodles, made with heirloom wheat, are from my CSA farm - Full Belly Farm. They are full of flavor, light and fabulous. I've also used tube pasta from the grocery - and the recipe was just as good. I promise. I enjoy lamb, maybe since I was raised on a sheep farm. Or maybe in spite of being raised on a sheep farm. Ground lamb is affordable and versatile. Give it a try. I adapted the recipe from one in the New York Times. It makes enough for about 6 servings.

Lamb Ragu

2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt and black pepper
red-pepper flakes
2 T Worcestershire
2 T tomato paste
1 lb. ground lamb
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup wine, whatever you have on hand
cooked pasta
herb(s) of choice, such as oregano, basil, rosemary
Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a pot. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft, 5 minutes or so. Add a pinch of red-pepper flakes and cook for a minute or two. Add tomato paste and cook until caramelized. Then add the lamb and more salt and pepper. Stir and break up the lamb. Cook until browned. Add tomatoes, deglaze the pan. Add the wine to the tomato can to rinse out any bits of tomato left in it and add to the pot. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer until thick and delicious. About 30 minutes, although I have cooked it longer for even more flavor. Before serving, check seasonings and add herbs of choice. Serve over pasta with grated cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment