Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, September 13, 2019

Plum Torte

This is an adaptation of the famous Marian Burros Plum Torte. It is so delicious. I've made it twice already since plums are in season right now in California. We scarf it down in a couple days and lick our fingers and want more. It is super simple, although it did require me to get the hand mixer out so I could cream the sugar and butter. Give it a try, assuming you don't already have the recipe taped to your frig or bookmarked on your device. Feel free to use other fruit instead of plums or along with the plums. I used apricots and plums in one of them. Really tasty. 


Plum Torte

1 cup sugar, if fruit is really sweet reduce sugar per your taste
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 

1 cup all-purpose flour 
1 t baking powder
Good pinch of salt
2 large eggs
12 to 24 plums halved and pitted (I used sugar plums or also called sugar prunes)
Lemon juice
Ground cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan. Other sizes can work, but you will need to adjust the bake time.
Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix each until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients into the butter/egg mixture and blend until smooth. (Don't over beat.)

Spread the batter into the pan. Place plum halves, cut side down, over the batter, pressing them in lightly. Sprinkle with lemon juice, sugar and ground cinnamon. Cardamon might be nice too.

Bake until the torte is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. My oven took only 40 minutes, but the original recipe called for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven. Serve warm or at room temperature. It keeps well on the counter for several days. In fact, if you can wait until the next day, the fruit juices blend into the cake and it is even more delicious. We ate ours plain, but whipped cream or ice cream would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment