Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, September 20, 2019

Fig and Pear Jam

As the weather cools and fall fruits become available, my jam making shifts from peaches and berries to figs, pears, apples, persimmons! Not sure why I am so into making jams. Its soothing, calming and helps me cope with life's challenges. Often you'll find me in the kitchen preparing fruit for jam while watching Perry Mason reruns. That show may have been responsible for my interest in becoming a lawyer. I know for sure it helped me get through law school evidence class. I'd watch and shriek at the TV - objection, objection! This jam recipe is adapted from one by Christine Ferber.


Fig and Pear Jam

1 3/4 lbs. green figs, washed dried, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 lb. Bartlett pears, ripe but firm, washed, peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 1/3 cups sugar (I reduced the original recipe by 1/3 cup. I believe the French really like very sweet jam, I bet you could go to 4 cups and still have the jam set up.)
1 lemon, juiced

Combine the figs, pears, sugar and lemon juice in a nonreactive pan. Allow it to macerate for an hour. Then bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate covered overnight.

Next day bring to a hard boil, skim and cook for 10 minutes. Stir gently so as to not break up your fig slices. Make sure nothing sticks!

Check the set by putting a small amount in a dish kept in the freezer. Place back in the freezer for a few minutes. If it wrinkles when you push a finger through it, it is set. Continue to cook in 5 minute increments until the set is as you like it. Put in jars immediately. 

I don't can my jams. Once they are cooled, I keep them in the freezer for up to a year or in the refrigerator for about a month or more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment