Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, March 1, 2019

Potato Cabbage Soup

Full Belly provided new potatoes, green garlic and cabbage. I wanted something quick and since it has been so cold and rainy - a nice warming soup. This soup fit the bill and turned out to be really easy to make. I do enjoy chopping, if you don't, feel free to substitute that wonderful pre-sliced cabbage from the grocery. The parmesan really adds lots of flavor, so don't skimp on it. I like greens and potatoes with lemon, so a squeeze of lemon right before serving really helped the soup taste fresh and vibrant. I hope you'll try it.

Potato Cabbage Soup

5 T olive oil
1 medium to large onion sliced thinly
6 to 8 cups shredded cabbage (a small cabbage)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped, or 3 green garlic (green garlic is sort of like green onion, so it doesn't upset my tummy), feel free to up the garlic if your stomach can handle it
4 to 5 small to medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 cups water (enough to cover the veggies)
2 ½ t kosher salt
2 thyme branches, or 3 sprigs parsley, sprig of oregano and sprig of rosemary or any fresh herbs you prefer with potato and cabbage
½ teaspoon black pepper 
grated Parmesan and squeeze of lemon, to serve

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and golden, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to turn golden, about 10 more minutes. Add potatoes, stock, water, salt and herbs. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are falling apart, about 45 minutes. Fish out the herb stems. Season with black pepper and lemon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve, topped with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment