Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, February 15, 2019

Lemon Chicken and Kale

I started getting Full Belly again. They agreed on a trial basis to delivery to my house. So wonderful. If you have it available where you live--getting veggies delivered from an organic farm is so amazing. It gives me a chance to eat seasonally and use my creative cooking skills. This past week it was plenty of greens, including kale. This recipe is a really nice way to use preserved lemon and kale. Plus it is a one pan meal. I love those. The chicken, lemon and almonds really balance out the robust flavor of kale. This is a recipe I definitely want to incorporate into my monthly rotation. Recipe adapted from one by Donna Hay.

Lemon Chicken and Kale

Rind of 1/2 preserved lemon (substitute 1T grated lemon zest with pinch of salt), see my recipe for preserved lemon
1 clove garlic
1 T olive oil
1/4 cup almonds (sliced or slivered)
3 cups loosely packed cooked brown rice (I like basmati brown rice best)
1 pound thinly sliced chicken breasts
3 loosely packed cups shredded kale, stems removed

Cut the lemon rind into thin slices, should be about 2 T. Mince the garlic and combine with lemon and oil. Stir.

Heat a fairly large frying pan over medium to medium high heat. I recommend a nonstick pan for this. If you have the strength then use a cast iron pan. Add half of the lemon oil mixture and the almonds. Cook and stir until the the almonds have lightly browned. Be careful not to brown the garlic. Add the rice. Cook and stir until the rice is warmed and some of it is a bit crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and put into a bowl. 

Wipe out the pan and heat on medium to medium high heat. Add the rest of the lemon oil mixture and the chicken. Brown the chicken, should only take about 5 minutes or less depending on how thin your chicken is, don't over cook. Add the kale and cook a minute or so more until it wilts, keep stirring. 

Add the rice mixture and cook and stir until all is warm. Taste. If needed, add salt and pepper. Serve with more preserved lemon or squeeze of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment