Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, March 8, 2019

Baked Eggs - Mexican Style


After I discovered baked eggs, I started preparing them more often and with different bases. Here is a version using kale and Mexican spices. I put a bit of lime in it because I like citrus with kale. Leave it out if you don't have it or try lemon instead. For the kale, I place the washed and trimmed leaves in a bowl and microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes. I squeeze out the liquid and then chop the kale roughly. Any I don't use in the recipe I set aside for another use, such as topping on soup or an addition to salad or a bowl. I hope you enjoy this version of baked eggs.


Baked Eggs - Mexican Style


unsalted butter,
3 T tomatoes, chopped
3 T chopped cooked dinosaur kale

1 T minced onion
pinch grated lime zest
good squeeze of lime
1 t salt
1 t freshly ground pepper
1/2 t Mexican spice
3 eggs
3 t half and half
3 t grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat an oven to 350°F. Generously butter three 1/2-cup ramekins.
In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes, kale, onions, lime, spices and half of the salt and pepper. Divide evenly among the prepared ramekins. Cut 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter into small pieces and divide among the ramekins, sprinkling the pieces evenly over the veggie mixture. Break an egg into each ramekin. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle each egg with 1 teaspoon of half and half. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
Bake until the eggs are how you like them about 15 minutes for runny yolk. And  20 minutes for a more set egg. Check them often so they don't overcook. Remove from the oven and sprinkle each with cheese. Serve with salsa, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment