Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, February 16, 2018

Tahini Pasta


pasta with multicolored veggies on top
I was pretty skeptical this would taste good. Tahini is a bit bitter for my taste. But, wow were we surprised. This was so good. My hubby did not once ask where the tomato sauce and hamburger was.  That was a real coup for me! Once again I sneaked in a vegan meal. Wink, don't tell him. I was inspired and adapted a recipe on 101 CookbooksThis was pretty easy and quick.

The longest part was chopping veggies. Otherwise pasta and veggie cooking can happen while you "make" the sauce. Best to use a robust pasta for the dish to counter the intensity of the sauce. I used cornucopia pasta. I didn't have some of the ingredients for a drizzle, plus I wasn't sure I'd like it, so I made some modifications. Give it a try, its good! 

I made this again this week with only roasted cherry tomatoes, red peppers and onion. I added a minced clove of garlic to the sauce. It was great. Very adaptable recipe.

Tahini Pasta

3 cups chopped vegetables (I used green beans, eggplant (yup sneaked in some eggplant too), red pepper, cherry tomatoes and shallots)
2 T olive oil (use more or less depending on your veggies, eggplant needs more)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup tahini
1/3 cup warm water
1 t lemon juice
1/2 t chile sauce (I used Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce)
8 oz. pasta (I used cornucopia. Use what you like, but make sure it is robust, so it can stand up to the tahini. Whole grain is probably a good choice.)


eggplant, red pepper, shallots, green beans and tomatoes ready for the oven
Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Toss veggies with olive oil and salt and pepper. I used a smallish cookie sheet lined with foil. Bake them for about 15 to 20 minutes. Check them at 10. I baked mine for 20 minutes. The tomatoes were getting a bit dark, did not effect the taste though.

I am so against scrubbing baked on food off my pans, so often line them with foil. Parchment paper works too. I piled stuff up, I was not very particular about making sure nothing touched and was spread out evenly. I was also not very concerned about timing the cooking of the veggies. Having multiple pans and opening the oven to add and take out various veggies doesn't usually appeal, particularly when I'm trying to make something quick and easy. If you want the veggies more evenly cooked and to how you like them, then spread them out and take them out when each is done.


veggies after baking
While veggies are cooking, start your pasta and make the sauce. Cook pasta according to package directions.

For the sauce, add warm water to the tahini, stirring it in little by little until it is a nice consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. I liked it a bit salty. Add the lemon juice, slowly while stirring. I made the mistake of adding lemon to the tahini first and it curdled! I had to start over. So be warned. Then stir in the chile sauce. I wanted it a little spicy, but not much. Us old folks have digestion troubles with overly spicy food. Taste it.  Adjust seasonings to your liking. 

Once pasta is done, drain and toss with the sauce. Dump veggies on top and enjoy. I served it with lemon on the side to squeeze on the veggies, if desired. Still working on using up all my lemons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment