Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Monday, February 19, 2018

Orange Jam


five jars of orange jam
Ever since we moved to a house with a navel orange tree in the back, I've looked for ways to use the oranges. Some years we get a bumper crop, other years just a few. This year it was just a enough to have fresh oranges for a few months. If you have never had backyard oranges, you are missing out. They are juicy, brightly flavored and gorgeous. One of the things I found to do with them is make orange jam. Not marmalade, I'm not a marmalade fan, it is too bitter. Instead this jam tastes like fresh orange juice on your English muffin.


This year I waited a little long to make it and just had two oranges left, so I added 2 blood oranges I had in the refrigerator and a mandarin. This was a mistake, my jam, which every year for the past ten years has always set, refused to set. It was like syrup. 


So next day I dumped it into a pan, added some spice, cloves and a cinnamon stick, a little lemon juice and simmered it for about 15 minutes. Checked it on a dish in the freezer. It was just right, so I bottled it. The original recipe is a no cook recipe, which is why it tastes so much like fresh orange juice. The cooked version with the spices is sweet and reminds me of fall, thanksgiving and orange spice tea. Also really good. 

I keep my jams in the refrigerator or freezer. Canning them is too much work and scary, all that super hot water and jars, ugh. If you want to can the cooked jam below, then check the National Center for Home Food Preservation website for instructions on how to can fruit jams. The fresh jam is not intended for canning, it is intended for the freezer.

Fresh Orange Jam

3 oranges, peeled, cut into chunks, you'll need to end up with 2 cups finely chopped in a blender or food processor
4 cups sugar

pinch of salt
1T lemon juice
3 oz. liquid fruit pectin

navel and blood oranges in a mini-chop
2 Tbsp. water

Makes five 1/2-pint jars.

In a food processor or blender, finely chop the oranges, this is where I use my mini-chop. Works great and easier for me to handle than a huge blender or food processor.
chopped oranges with sugar and pectin
Combine the chopped oranges, salt, lemon juice and sugar; let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the pectin and water; add to orange mixture, and stir for 3 minutes.

Pour into sterilized 1/2-pint jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top and put on the lids.

Leave at room temperature for 24 hours; then refrigerate or freeze for longer storage. This is a fresh jam so it must be kept in the refrigerator or freezer. I've kept it frozen for up to two years with little change in flavor.

Cooked Orange Jam

After adding the pectin and stirring, pour all into a pan, add 5 cloves and one cinnamon stick, another T of lemon juice  and heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Place a small ceramic dish in the freezer, dribble a little jam on it and put it back in the freezer for a couple minutes. Take it out and push it with your finger if it wrinkles, it is going to set for you. Take it off the heat and bottle it. Let it sit out for 24 hours and then store in the freezer or refrigerator. It will store longer in the freezer. 
one jar cooked jam

As mentioned in the notes above, I don't can my jams. The method for this jam does not can it, so you have to keep it frozen or refrigerated. See above for links to where you can find out how to can jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment