Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Overnight Oats


coconut banana chocolate
Happy Valentine's Day! These recipes are for your heart. I admit it, I've gone overboard in love with wait for it ... overnight oats! I was late to the party and really just discovered them last month.  I know, I know, where have I been? These two recipes are my current favorites. Coconut-banana-chocolate and coconut-mango. As you know overnight oats are easy to put together and are a big help on those have-to-dash mornings. I also love them on lazy Sundays when all I want to do is lie in bed, read the Washington Post and snuggle. 


I put them in a plain small plastic container. Some use pretty jars and such. I shake a little any more, so a wide plastic container is easier to fill. I like the addition of chia seeds and coconut. They add a bit of texture and chew.  But of course you can leave them out. I also like to use agave syrup, mostly because I have a fair amount of it on hand. You can use other sweetness, use what works for you or just use a ripe banana if you are avoiding or can't eat sweeteners. I've had success holding these in the refrigerator for up to three days. 

peeled mango
My favorite mango these days are the small kidney shaped yellow ones. I've seen them labeled honey or Manila mangoes. They are best when allowed to ripen to a golden yellow with a bit of wrinkle on the skin. Avoid them when bruising or a dark color shows faintly through the skin.

yum chocolate chips





Coconut Banana Chocolate Oats

1/3 cup oats (not the instant kind, the old fashioned kind and not steel cut they don't soften enough overnight)
1/3 cup yogurt (I use plain yogurt, not Greek)
1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (use whatever milk you like or need to use)
1/2 very ripe banana
1 T mini chocolate chips
1 to 2 T unsweetened raw coconut flakes (Bob's Red Mill makes good ones)
1 t vanilla
1 t chia seeds
pinch of salt
1 T of agave syrup (you can use other sweetness or leave it out as the banana will sweeten it)

Mix this all together, put in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight. Next morning add about 1/4 cup more milk stir until nice and creamy. Sprinkle on dried cranberries and slivered raw almonds. Enjoy.


coconut mango oats
Coconut Mango Oats

1/3 cup each oats, yogurt and full or reduced fat coconut milk (the kind in the can, not coconut water)
1/2 very ripe banana (this acts as sweetener)
1/2 mango, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1/3 cup)
1 to 2 T coconut flakes
1 t chia seeds
pinch of salt
1/2 t vanilla

Mix this all together, put in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight. Next morning add about 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other milk), stir until nice and creamy. Sprinkle on slivered raw almonds. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment