Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Tandoori Tofu


tandoori tofu, rice, broccoli, sauce and mandarin orange
tandoori tofu
Here is an interesting take on Tandoori Masala chicken. Use tofu instead! I essentially used the same recipe as for chicken Tandoori with a few tweaks, including cooking it in the oven. I've always liked Indian food. When I make it, it turns out pretty Americanized I'm sure, but I still enjoy it. The special part of this recipe is actually the sauce. Hubby loved the sauce and poured it over everything on his plate, even the broccoli. This makes only enough for the two of us. 


A word about yogurt. I use regular plain full fat yogurt. I like the Greek style very much. However, when I did a little label comparing, I discovered Greek had less calcium. Some Greek yogurt has added calcium, check out the labels and see. I have osteoporosis and have been advised to add calcium to my diet.  So I use regular yogurt where I can. In this recipe, since it is a marinade/sauce, I'd recommend using the regular because the sauce should be thin. But if you really love the Greek style, give it a try.

Tandoori Tofu

1/2 lb. tofu sliced and cut into 6 triangle pieces about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup plain yogurt (see headnote)
1 T Tandoori Masala spice (try the Teeny Tiny Spice Co. of Vermont Tandoori Masala spice)
2 T lemon juice (still trying to use up lemons)
3/4 T agave syrup (you can also use regular sugar, honey or other sweetener of choice or leave it out)
1 t garlic granules (you can use fresh garlic, but I find it burns and turns bitter)
salt to taste

tofu marinading
Mix all the ingredients except the tofu in a bowl.  Put the tofu slices in a baggie and pour half the marinade over the tofu and marinade for 1/2 hour or more in the refrigerator please. 

For the sauce: Take remainder of the marinade, add 1 t agave syrup, 1 T mayonnaise  1/3 c yogurt and 1 t salt. Taste and adjust as suits you. I like it spicy, tangy and salty. I admit to adding a bit of preserved lemon to the sauce, I promise to post the recipe one of these days. You can leave it out.

ready for the oven
To cook: Heat oven to 450 degrees. I used my toaster oven, it is so much easier to use for just the two of us. Place slices on a broiler pan. I put foil on top and bottom to save me clean up. Bake about 15 minutes or until looking a bit crispy. Turn on the broiler and broil for 2 minutes til browned. Serve on rice with sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment