Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cobbler

Made cobbler again last night - one of my favorites - pear ginger. The topping I am currently using is one adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. A must have cookbook. Since it is just me and my hubby, I've been experimenting with smaller portions for cobblers and such, something we can eat in one sitting.  This is not one of those recipes, sorry.
Topping

1 1/2 cups flour (can be all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
1/2 t salt
6 T cold butter cut into small pieces
2 T powdered buttermilk

1/2 cup water
1/2 t vanilla

Mix dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter until it forms coarse crumbs. I use a fork and mash it until looks like that; you could also get in there with your fingers, although the butter might start liquifying. Stir in water and vanilla with a fork until dough clings together when grabbed with your hand. If too dry, add a little more water until it is moist enough to come together. Spoon the dough over the fruit to give a cobbled look.

Filling

6 to 8 cups of sliced, peeled pears (Sometimes I leave on the skin – depends on the pear. My favorite pear for this is a Comice pear – it needs peeling.)
1/3 cup sugar
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 T lemon zest
1 T lemon juice
¼ t salt
¼ cup flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter an 8 X 10 inch baking dish.

Toss the fruit with the ingredients. Put the fruit in a dish, then cover with a cobbler topping. Bake until the fruit is cooked and bubbling - about 30 minutes. Let the cobbler sit for a while before serving, but serve it warm with cream, yogurt or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment