Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Collard Greens and Grilled Chicken

It is summer today in Sacramento - triple digit temperature. We pruned roses. Those roses. There are so many bushes here and while just dead heading is not such a chore - it is when there are so many of them. So we got up early and pruned for about an hour got the front yard done - we'll finish the back yard next weekend.

Afterward we had muesli with plain yogurt and fruit - strawberries, apricots, blackberries and apples - and just a touch of honey. Hit the spot on such a warm morning.

We showered and headed for Borders to get books for the trip to DC. We leave for DC on Monday and will be gone for 4 days. We plan to take some time Tuesday to enjoy DC; the other days I have to work. After Borders we came home, paid bills and got ready for dinner.

I have been preparing chicken now and again as Craig needs meat. Today I had collard greens and new potatoes from Full Belly to work into a recipe.

I got an idea from looking at Raley's magazine (http://www.raleys.com/www/).

I sliced the collard greens into thin strips, sauteed it in olive oil and red pepper flakes. Added salt and chopped dried tomatoes after the greens had wilted and finished with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

I rubbed the chicken breasts with garlic salt and had Craig grill them. When they were done, I put them on a piece of foil, lay a slice of tomato on the chicken, piled on the greens and sprinkled it all with Parmesan cheese.

I had Craig put it back on the grill and cook until the cheese melted.

We also grilled the new potatoes. I cooked them a bit in the microwave, tossed them with olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Craig put them in our grill basket and grilled then till they had a bit of color.

We enjoyed a Bogle Chardonnay (http://www.boglewinery.com/bogle_chard_facts.htm) and had vanilla frozen yogurt with Boysenberry topping for dessert.

What a great ending to the day. My gratitude for the day, meal and Craig knows no bounds. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment