Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Monday, November 23, 2009

Ginger!!

It is that time of the year again! Holiday season and I think of ginger bread. Here is my current favorite recipe for ginger cake adapted from a recipe by Dave Lebovitz from his book Ready for Dessert.




Ginger Cake

4 ounces fresh ginger (I use my kitchen scale for this part)
1 cup molasses (I prefer the intense blackstrap molasses)
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 cup water
2 t baking soda
2 eggs, at room temperature

Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 3-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.

I used my mini-chop to chop the ginger after I peeled it and cut it into big chunks. Ginger is difficult for a person with a disability to chop fine, especially this much of it. Mix the molasses, sugar, and oil. In another bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.

Boil the water in a saucepan and stir in the baking soda. Mix the hot water into the molasses mixture. Stir in the ginger. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the batter. I tend not to use a mixer, rather I use my whisk or simply a spatula, but if a mixer works better for you - use it!. Add the eggs, and continue mixing until everything is combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 1 hour, until the top of the cake springs back when pressed or a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the cake for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Remove the cake from the pan and peel off the parchment paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment