Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, January 3, 2020

Chili

Tired of holiday meals? Is it cold outside? Try some chili! How many ways can a person make chili - millions. I like chili. I grew up with tomato based chili and I like it best. While married I grew to enjoy various vegetarian versions. Craig seems to only like New Mexico style green chili. He asked me once: How come you never make chili? Me: You don't like tomato based veggie chili. Craig: Sure I do. I like any chili. Me: OK. I'll start making chili. If you want green chili you have to make it. Craig: OK. Long story short, I made the chili in this post. He said it was not mushy enough, too thin, too hot, not green and so on. I tried reminding him that he claimed to like all chili. He looked puzzled. This recipe reminds me of a Mexican mole. I loved it! It is vegetarian. It is vegan if you leave off the yogurt and cheese. Adapted from a recipe in Sunset Magazine.


Vegetarian Chili

3 cans beans, drained and rinsed, I used pinto, kidney and black (use what you have)
1 dry guajillo chile stemmed, seeded and soaked overnight in 1 cup of hot water
1 T olive oil
2 cups diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced mini sweet chilies or other pepper (I don't like the flavor of green bell pepper, so won't use it, up to you)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced (if you want a mild chili, as I did, cut out the membrane too, if you want it hot - leave it all in)
Salt to taste
1/2 t sweet paprika
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t cumin powder
1/2 to 1 T chili powder
1 t black pepper
1 T tomato paste
1 cup crushed or small dice canned tomatoes
2 T cider vinegar
1 T of the sauce plus small amount of a chili from canned chipotle chilies in adobo (add more up to 1 oz. if you want more heat, I wanted to keep the heat down)
1 T brown sugar
1 can vacuum packed corn, drained
1 1/2 T finely chopped dark chocolate (70% to 80% cacao, I could only find 70%)
Yogurt, onions, Parmesan cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand) to serve (optional)

Drain the guajillo chile and save the liquid. 

Heat the oil in a big pot, add the onion, carrot, peppers, jalapeño and 1/2 t salt. Stir frequently over low to medium heat. You don't want to brown anything, just get it to soften and release some juice. 

Add the spices, tomato paste, beans and tomatoes. Stir, cover and cook at low simmer while prepping the other ingredients. 

In a suitable bowl, combine guajillo chile, its liquid, 1 T vinegar, brown sugar, 1/2 t salt and the chipotle in adobe. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture. Add to the pot and continue a slow simmer for an hour or so. Keep it covered. Stir once in a while. If need be add a little water. 

Add corn and slow simmer for 45 minutes to an hour more. If too much juice, leave lid off, otherwise cover while it simmers. Remove from the heat, stir in chocolate, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 T vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve warm with tortillas or corn bread and toppings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment