Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, June 21, 2019

Spinach and Lime Soup


Here's a nice simple soup made with broth, spinach and lime. Dress it up with chopped egg, bits of chicken, beef or tofu, or other protein, avocado, and cheese to create a light lunch or dinner.  You get the idea.  Or eat it as a first course with tortillas or a crusty bread. The great thing about it is its ease to pull together. And its a great way to use up spinach that's been lingering in your refrigerator a bit too long or all that CSA produce. 

Recently I cleaned out my spice drawer. I took a bunch of ground chilis of different sorts, sumac, and turmeric plus a few other odds and ends to create a mixed chili spice to add to whatever I cook. So far it has worked well in soups and as a rub on chicken. I used it as the ground chili spice in this recipe. 

Spinach and Lime Soup

3 cups vegetable or chicken stock (fresh, canned, or bouillon)
1/2 T olive oil
4 cups spinach, chopped roughly
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 T ground cumin
1/2 t ground coriander
pinch of ground chili (these days we don't do much heat, increase as your taste likes)
salt
pepper
parmesan cheese (optional)
chopped avocado (optional)

Heat olive oil in pot big enough to hold broth and spinach. Add spices and heat til fragrant. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for two minutes or until soft. Add lime juice, salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle cheese, avocado and a bit more ground chili to serve. See  other ideas in the headnotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment