Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Apricot Jam

It's been awhile since I added a post. There has been lots going on this summer. Mostly health issues with loved ones, graduations and resting up from the first two. Speaking of graduations, my sister and I went north on I5 to my granddaughter's high school graduation. On the way we saw signs for apricots. On the way back we got off the freeway went down a narrow paved road for a few miles, turned on a dirt/gravel road and followed it to a small fruit stand on an apricot orchard. Oh my. Were those apricots gorgeous. And they were so delicious. I had to get enough for jam as apricot jam is one of my all time favorites. As with many of my jam recipes this one is adapted from one by David Lebovitz

Cooking the apricots into a puree first and measuring the amount of puree, let's you know how much sugar to use. I suggest 3/4 cup sugar per cup of puree. Sugar is necessary to preserve the jam. If you want to use less sugar, your jam won't last as long in the refrigerator. Perhaps a week rather than months. Better yet, if you want to use a sugar substitute or no sugar, try these recipes.


Apricot Jam

2 cups apricot puree (takes a bit more than 2 pounds to make 2 cups puree)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon kirsch
Cut the apricots in half. Remove the pits. Put the apricots in a large pan and add the water. Cover and cook at a simmer until the apricots are soft and it looks like a puree. About 20 minutes. Stir often. Measure the amount of puree so you know how much sugar to use. 

Put the puree and sugar back in the pot. Increase the heat until the jam is bubbling, skim off foam. Continue cooking until the jam is the right consistency. Stir often to prevent sticking and burning on the bottom. Takes about 20 minutes. I like my jams soft set, but not so soft that it rolls off the toast.

To test consistency, put a small dab of the jam on a small plate you had in the freezer. Place back in the freezer for a minute or two. Push your finger through the jam and if it wrinkles, its done. If not done cook at five minute increments until it is done. Add  the lemon juice and kirsch. Stir. Ladle into jars. Cover tightly and let cool overnight. 

Important: Since this jam is not canned, you must refrigerate or freeze it. It keeps at least a year in the freezer and a month or more in the refrigerator. I freeze all my jams. I take one out at a time, refrigerate it, and eat it during the month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment