Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, November 2, 2018

Lentils with Saffron Yogurt


Lentils are nice in the fall. They cook quickly and are so adaptable. You can make soups, stews, mock meat loaf, salads and so on. They take to different spices and vegetables and come out delicious. I find I don't make them enough. And every time I make a batch, I'm surprised by how wonderful they are. This is a very easy, short ingredient list recipe. Add more water to make it more of a soup and add different toppings to make it your own. It is adapted from a recipe at 101 Cookbooks.


Lentils with Saffron Yogurt

1 cup lentils  
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 t salt
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes 
1 to 2 cups of a leafy green (I used baby boy choy), finely chopped
squeeze of lemon

Saffron Yogurt

a pinch of saffron
1 tablespoon very hot water
two pinches of salt
1/2 cup yogurt (I used regular full fat)

Heat the oil in a soup pan, add onion and saute until soft. Add lentils and enough water to cover them by about an inch. Simmer until lentils are tender. Add water as needed. 

While lentils are cooking make the saffron yogurt. Make the saffron yogurt by combining the saffron and water in a cup. Steep for a few minutes. Stir the saffron and liquid into the yogurt and add salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside until ready to use.

Once lentils are soft, add tomatoes, about a cup of water (add less if you want it thicker) and salt, simmer a few more minutes. Add the book choy and a squeeze of lemon, cook until wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with saffron yogurt or plain yogurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment