Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, September 7, 2018

Corn Chowder


So are you getting tired of corn on the cob? Does anyone ever get tired of corn on the cob? Well I do. Here is something else to do with corn on the cob: make soup. This is a fun soup because you roast most of the ingredients and use the corn cobs. How cool is that? This is vegan.




Corn Chowder

3 ears fresh corn
1 fresh chili, make it a red sweet one, but not a bell pepper

1 medium potato
olive oil
1 t salt
3 1/2 cups water
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, smashed and left whole (I do this because I've developed a sensitivity to garlic. This way I only get the flavor and can avoid eating the clove. If you love garlic, chop it and add a couple more cloves to suit your taste.)
1/4 t chipotle powder
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (other milk or even cream is fine, but depending on the milk, it may not be vegan anymore)
1 T chopped basil

Heat the oven to 375ºF. Remove the husk and silk from the corn. Slice the corn off the cob. Keep the cobs. Chop the pepper and potato into small dice. Toss the corn kernels, potato and pepper with about 2 T olive oil and salt. Spread it on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Roast until the potato is soft and some of the corn is a bit browned. 

Cut the cobs in half, this is hard, so I recommend leaving them whole and putting them in a big enough pan. Or if like me, you don't have a bigger pan, get someone else to cut them in half or even into smaller pieces. Put the pieces in a pan and add the water, simmer covered for about 30 minutes.  This extracts a wonderful corn flavor and will be the stock for the soup.

Saute onions in olive oil until softened, add garlic at the end to soften a bit, but don't brown it.

Remove the cobs from your stock and add everything, including the chipotle, but not the milk or basil, to the pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for just a few minutes. Add the milk. Taste and add more salt or chipotle powder, as needed. Stir in basil and serve. 

Adapted from a recipe by David Liebovitz.

1 comment:

  1. Love your work-around with the garlic. This sounds good, although maybe a bit labor-intensive for lazy me.

    Last weekend I had vegetarian guests and wanted to do something interesting with my fresh corn on the cob. So i did it al-dente, scraped it off the 5 cobs, added fresh peas, a half-cap of olive oil, a handful of chives, marjorie and basil (just what i had growing) and showered it with red and black pepper. It disappeared immediately.

    ReplyDelete