Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, September 14, 2018

Halushki

This week I went back to my Ukrainian roots. My Dad was Ukrainian and this is one of the meals my Mom would make for him. Mom was not Ukrainian but she was always happy to make food my Dad liked. Halushki is one of those dishes that many countries in that part of Europe make, just had slightly different names. I've updated it just a tad by using olive oil instead of bacon fat. My Mom, of course, made it with bacon. This recipe is from a cookbook I got back in the 60's. It is called the Book of Golden Recipes and was compiled by St. Anne's Ukrainian Byzantine in Youngstown, Ohio.
There was no author listed for the recipe. The cookbook is no longer available except occasionally on eBay or other such sites. My copy is quite worn looking and I love that it links me to my Ukrainian heritage. The other thing about Halushki is the name also refers to the noodles used. I don't make my noodles, I use store bought regular noodles. But I've included the recipe for the noodles, if you feel energetic. Hope you enjoy the Halushki.

Halushki

Adjust the amounts to suit you, if you want more cabbage, cut back on the amount of noodles and so on.

1 medium cabbage, sliced (I used a savoy in the recipe pictured)
1 medium pkg noodles
1 large onion, sliced similar to size of cabbage 
(I used parts of a red and white onion I had on hand in the pictured version)
2 to 3 T olive oil
salt & pepper
Saute onion in oil until soft. Cook noodles and drain. Cook cabbage until tender (about 10 minutes), drain. Combine noodles, cabbage and onions in pan, cook for a few minutes to combine the flavors. Add lots of pepper. Salt to taste.

Halushki Noodles

I have never made these, so can give no tips on amount of water or time for cooking.

1 cup flour
1 egg
salt
warm water (depends, add a little at a time)

Mix until consistency of a pastry dough. Spoon off the bowl and put into a pot of salted boiling water. Boil like noodles, drain and use instead of the noodles in the recipe above.

1 comment:

  1. I have a newspaper recipe for chicken paprikash that's served over egg noodles. I bet the Halushki noodle would be a perfect complement to the chicken! I use white onions most -- fewer tears and I like the sweeter flavor when they're sauteed.

    ReplyDelete