Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, July 6, 2018

Pomegranate Jelly

We are lucky to share a pomegranate tree with our neighbor. It has wonderfully huge deep red fruit in the fall. We eat lots of pomegranates and I juice a fair number of them. I make jelly with the juice. This year, we had lots of fruit and I had lots of juice. I got tired of making jelly so I froze enough juice so I could make jelly later in the year. Recently I pulled it out of the freezer and made a batch of jelly. It is so spectacular. Since I love my PB & J - I use it as the jelly.


Pomegranate Jelly

2 cups pomegranate juice, in the future I'll write up how I juice the pomegranates 
2 T lemon juice
1 packet Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin
4 cups sugar

In a large pan combine pomegranate juice, lemon juice, and pectin. Bring to a boil. Once boiling add the sugar while stirring. I usually turn off the heat for this step so I don't spatter myself. It doesn't seem to matter if I turn off the heat temporarily.  Keep stirring and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. I generally lower the heat to medium high or lower, I want a full rolling boil, but I don't want it all over the cook top. Boil for one minute. Don't forget to stir!

Remove from the heat and skim foam off or do my tip of adding a bit of butter during the final boil and the foam greatly diminishes. If you do skim it either throw it away of put it in yogurt or on toast. It is just as tasty as the rest of the jelly. Ladle the jelly into jars with lids and cover. I let them stand out at room temperature until cool. Then store in the refrigerator for a month or so or keep in the freezer for up to a year.

This is not a canned jelly, it must be refrigerated or frozen. I don't do canning. Too dangerous for me to handle.

It makes about 4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment