Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, June 29, 2018

Broccoli Soup

So many times I try to make a broccoli soup that reminds me of the broccoli, rice and cheese casserole my Mom made for holidays. But, sigh, I can never quite pull it off. Last time I tried, it was a glorious mess, albeit edible  This recipe is a good substitute, a whole lot lighter and makes for a good lunch or light dinner. Make sure to serve it with a good crusty bread so you can sop up ever drip. This is vegetarian if you use vegetable broth. 





Broccoli Soup

1 onion chopped

1 garlic clove chopped
1 large potato, cut into small cubes (I like the Yukon gold)
3 to 4 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable)
2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 t Dijon mustard (this adds a bit of tang to it, add more if you like)
1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion and garlic until a little softened but not browned. Add the potato and saute a couple more minutes. Add 2 cups of broth and simmer until the potato is nearly done (about 10 minutes). Add 1 t salt and the broccoli with enough broth to cover it all, about 2 more cups. Simmer until everything is soft enough to puree, about 10 more minutes. 


Check it before you puree to be sure it is soft. Puree with immersion blender. Taste, add cheese, salt, pepper and the mustard. Add 1/2 and 1/2, stirring as you do. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. 


Should still be hot enough to eat. If you need to warm it, do so carefully as too much heat may cause it to curdle and the cheese to stick to the pan. 


Makes enough for Craig and I for a light dinner with no leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment