Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, June 8, 2018

Strawberry Jam

I really like strawberries. Growing up on the Ohio farm, my Mom had a large strawberry patch. We'd have strawberry shortcake til it came out our ears. She froze them and made jam. She also sold them to make a little money she set aside to buy things like a dishwasher and microwave. In March of this year when I went for a visit, she said strawberry jam was her favorite. Since it is strawberry season in California, I decided to head to our local growers get some and make jam. I plan to take her a jar next time I visit. I adapted a recipe from David Lebovitz.


Strawberry Jam

2 lbs. strawberries
2 2/3 cups sugar
dash of salt
1 lemon
1/2 t butter
Kirsch

Wash, hull and cut up the strawberries. It doesn't make much difference how you cut them as they cook down quite a bit. Add the sugar and salt to the berries and juice from the lemon. Dave has you put the lemon halves in the mixture, I tried this, but would prefer to just stick with the juice only. Let this sit at room temperature for about 2 hours. 


Then put it all in a big pan, heat it and simmer for about 20 minutes. I can't stand skimming off the foam that develops on jam. One trick is to add a little butter (1/2 t) once it starts foaming and believe it or not the foam subsides. The butter does not change the taste of the jam. 

To test whether the jam is done, put a little on a small dish in the freezer. Let it sit in the freezer for a bit, pull it out and push it with your finger, if it wrinkles, it is ready. I find strawberry jam does not set up very firm, so don't be surprised if it is a soft set.  While testing it in the freezer, turn off the heat. Usually if it is not set to suit me, I cook it 5 more minutes and test it again. Depending on your strawberries this can take a few tries. Once it is how you want it, take out the lemon halves, if you put them in the strawberries and add about a 1/2 t of Kirsch. Ladle it into jars. This makes a little bit more than 4 cups.


I, like David Lebovitz, do not can my jam (not something my little disabled arms can handle). I cool it on the counter and then store it in the freezer. I pull out a jar when I want it and keep it in the refrigerator. Most jams I make can last for a couple years in the freezer and still taste marvelous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment