Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, June 15, 2018

Clafoutis

It is getting to be that time of the year when I make lots of clafoutis or flaugnarde. Clafoutis is properly the dish made with cherries and when made with other fruit it's called a flaugnarde. This version was made with rhubarb, and it is one of my favorites. And since I had just bought some very nice strawberries I added a handful, sliced. Cherry clafoutis recipe is below, too!




I settled on this recipe after testing other versions and making modifications that suited us. I wanted something easy to make, as usual, and delicious. I use unsweetened soy milk and have used whole or 2% cow milk at times. But we prefer the unsweetened soy milk. If you try other milks, let me know how it turns out. How I combine the ingredients leads to a custard that sets up well and has no lumps. Use less sugar if your fruit is really sweet - you could go down to 1/4 cup or so. Since I use unsweetened soy milk, I start with a less sweet batter than were I to use regular milk or a sweetened non dairy milk, thus 1/2 cup seems about right usually for my version of clafoutis.

I really like rhubarb and have some interesting recipes to use it. I'll post some over time. Look for rhubarb that is small in diameter and not spongy. I found some recently at the farmers market. Finding it here is challenging because it tends to be too hot and dry for it in California. Often I have to settle for the grocery store variety. If you live in the Midwest, you are fortunate because it grows very well there. Pick it! Make jam, clafoutis, pie, sauce, salsa, lentil soup, and so on.

Rhubarb Clafoutis

2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 T sugar
2 T Kirsch
Combine these ingredients and macerate for at least an hour, I've kept it overnight and its been fine (if you keep it overnight, refrigerate it)

1/2 scant cup plus 1 T sugar (just regular granulated sugar, never tried anything else)
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
1/4 cup flour (never tried anything other than unbleached wheat flour)
1 cup unsweetened soy milk (this can be hard to find, it is not the reduced calorie one, it is the unsweetened one)

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Using a wire whisk, beat the eggs until mixed well. Add the scant cup sugar and salt and beat until combined. Using a sifter, add the flour a bit at a time whisking it in after each addition. Let this sit for a few minutes while you prep the pan.

Butter a 10 inch ceramic or glass pie pan. I've had success with an oblong ceramic baking dish, too. Sprinkle 1 T sugar in the bottom. Tap it around the bottom of the pan. This helps the clafoutis come out easier, it doesn't stick. If you skip this step it will just be a bit harder to get out of the pan, but it will still taste great.

Pour the rhubarb mixture into the pan and even it out a bit, but don't get overly fussy with this.

Add the milk to your batter and mix it again, it should be thick, creamy and lumpless (my computer doesn't think that's a word). Pour the batter over the rhubarb. Place in the oven and bake about 30 to 35 minutes. It will puff a bit and when jiggled the center won't wiggle. You can also test it like you would a custard or pumpkin pie, stick a knife near the center and if it comes out clean, its done. I rely on the visual and jiggle method myself.

It is good warm or cold. Often, we can't wait and we eat it when it is too hot. If it cools a bit it comes out of the pan easier and you don't burn your mouth.

For the Cherry Version!

2 cups pitted cherries, although the French leave in the pits to add a slight almond flavor to the recipe
1/2 scant cup plus 1 T sugar (just regular granulated sugar, never tried anything else)
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 t almond extract or leave it out if you are keeping in the pits (for other fruit I usually add vanilla)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup unsweetened soy milk

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. 

Using a wire whisk, beat the eggs until mixed well. Add the scant cup sugar and salt and beat until combined. Using a sifter, add the flour a bit at a time whisking it in after each addition. Let this sit for a few minutes while you prep the pan.

Butter a 10 inch ceramic or glass pie pan. Sprinkle 1 T sugar in the bottom. Tap it around the bottom of the pan.

Place the cherries or other fruit into the pan and even it out a bit, but don't get overly fussy with this. 

Add the milk to your batter and mix it again, it should be thick, creamy and with no lumps. Pour the batter over the fruit. Place in the oven and bake about 25 to 30 minutes. It will puff a bit and when jiggled the center won't wiggle.



No comments:

Post a Comment