Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, April 27, 2018

Watercress Soup


My hubby loves watercress. He says it's because it's so unusual to find. It is a fun green, with its peppery flavor. Reminds me of proper British teas with little sandwiches and hot tea. And scones and cakes and so on. Luckily we went to the farmer's market last weekend. They had artichokes, asparagus, citrus, strawberries, a bunch more produce, and watercress! Craig snagged a couple bunches.
Thinking about what to do besides sandwiches and salad, I decided on a soup. This one is quite good and works for a light dinner or lunch. It is vegan if you use veggie broth. It was enough for Craig and me for dinner with no leftovers. I'm sure you can double it.

Watercress Soup

1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium to large potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chicken stock (or veggie stock or Better than Bouillon)
1 cup water
about 4 cups watercress, big stems removed and slightly chopped
1 1/2 cups milk (I used soy)

Saute the onion in the olive oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the potato and 1/2 t salt. Stir and cook about 2 minutes. I read that cooking the potato a bit like this helps thicken the soup, some sort of chemical reaction between the heat and the potato. 

Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes or until the potato and onion are completely soft. Add the watercress and return to a boil, reduce the heat. Simmer about 6 minutes or until the watercress stalks are soft. 

With an immersion blender blend the soup until completely smooth. Heat the milk and add it to the soup. Blend a bit more. Season with salt and pepper. In bowls, top with a few pieces of watercress for garnish. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment