Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, February 2, 2018

Hickory Nut Cake My Sister and I Made as Kids

two women, both with glasses, one with a straw hat and the other in purple, probably a little past middle age
me and my sister
When my sister and I were kids, or maybe teenagers, we found a hickory nut cake recipe somewhere in a book we were reading. I had the impression it was one of the little house on the prairie books, but now don't think that is right. 

Anyway, we had a hickory nut tree on the farm and my Dad liked them, so we thought we'd make it for him. Of course, he had to crack the hickory nuts.  Have you ever tried to crack a hickory nut? They are super hard. Dad used to get out the hammer. This is why the recipe has such a quantity range for the nuts -- you just use what you feel like cracking! 


The other ingredient that was different was mace. We didn't have any and we made Dad go buy us some. There was major grumbling about how pricey spices are.  But he bought it for us. Apparently mace is not much used anymore. It is an aromatic golden brown spice obtained from the dried aril which covers the nutmeg seed. See here for more information: https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/spices/mace-ground. Seems you can substitute nutmeg, but mace is a more nuanced flavor, so maybe give it a try?

You could substitute pecans for the hickory nuts, since hickory nuts are challenging to come by. Of course it will taste different. This is an old fashioned recipe, so don't expect anything too fancy. It should be baked in a loaf pan.

Hickory Nut Cake

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or shortening
4 eggs plus yolks of 2 more
2 1/2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/4 t mace
1 cup milk
1/2 to 1 cup hickory nuts

To softened butter add sugar and beat until fluffy and creamy. Beat in eggs. Sift all dry ingredients into the batter. Lastly fold in the nuts. Pour into greased and floured regular sized loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for an hour or until toothpick comes out clean or top springs up when pressed. Serve with whipped cream or slice, toast and butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment