Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wowzers and Gooseberry Meringue Pie

Just checking out some other blogs - some folks have real extensive blogs and great add on things. Maybe I'll have to experiment some more - right in my spare time - as if I have time to actually write as much as I do on this blog.

So Craig loves pie - in particular gooseberry pie. I found a nifty recipe for gooseberry meringue pie that we both really liked.


We also enjoy hunting for places that have good pie to buy. Our recent discovery was pie at Ravenous http://www.ravenouscafe.com/ It was a cherry berry pie, the filling was not too sweet or thick like jello. The crust was thin and ever so light and crisp. Our server said the pie was made off site by a woman locally and brought to them daily. That is a photo above of the pie and below is 

Craig taking a big bite. 

The rest of the meal included ribs, salad, fish, mashed potatoes, wine and beer. The service was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Great dining experience, something the Pocket area sorely needs.

Craig returns tomorrow and then I'm going to experiment with endive - got some from Full Belly yesterday. Here is that gooseberry pie recipe.

Gooseberry Meringue Pie
1/3 to 1 cup sugar (Gooseberries are sour. So you should add sugar to your taste, I tend to like it more tart, so use less sugar. Also if I am adding other fruit, it may start out sweeter.)
2 1/2 T cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
2 1/2 cup canned gooseberries (about 2 cans)- drained
1 cup Gooseberry syrup with water added if needed to make 1 cup
2 T lemon juice
1 T butter
1 9-inch baked pastry shell
3 egg whites
6 T sugar

Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon with the syrup. Cook on top of stove until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Continue cooking for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, butter, and berries. Pour into pastry shell. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add sugar gradually and beat until it will stand in peaks. This is one of those times when I have to break out my hand mixer, I can't use a whisk and accomplish this.

Spread over pie and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 15 minutes or until well-browned. Pie may not set up until completely cooled. Keep refrigerated.

Note: Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, or loganberries may be substituted for gooseberries or combined with gooseberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment