Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Friday, July 27, 2018

Blueberry Lime Jam

I've been on a jam making spree. Summer fruits bring it out in me. Blueberries are not my favorite berry; they are just OK. I know, I know, they are good for me. In my defense I do love blackberries, raspberries  and strawberries.  And they are good for me too! This jam brings out the flavor of the blueberries and adds a little kick with the lime. Blueberries have quite a bit of natural pectin, so the jam really sets up well. It's an easy one for the novice jam maker.
As with all my jams I don't preserve them, so please keep them in the refrigerator or the freezer.

Blueberry Lime Jam

You can adjust the quantities. Use about a 1/4 cup of sugar per cup of blueberries. Adapted from a recipe in the New York Times.

9 cups berries, stemmed and rinsed
2 1/4 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1 T lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
juice and zest of 1 lime

Put a small saucer in the freezer. Carefully heat berries with 1/2 cup water until they burst their skins. Remove pan from heat, let cool a little and mash them with a fork or potato masher.  Keep some lumps! Add sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon stick. Cook at a full boil, stirring constantly, until a gel set is achieved, 8 to 10 minutes.

To test, drop some onto the chilled saucer. Put in freezer for 1 minute. Push your finger through jam. If surface wrinkles, it is ready. If not, cook a few minutes more and repeat. 

Once it's how you want it, remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in the lime juice and zest. Put into jars. Let them cool on the counter. Put them into the refrigerator or freezer after cooled. Will keep in the freezer at least a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment