Welcome to Margie's Musings

Welcome to my BLOG! I write about whatever I want, mostly food and random stories I'm trying to write. I hope you enjoy it. In loving kindness....

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Garbanzo and Spinach Orecchiette (Little Ears) with Crispy Lemon Bread Crumbs

garbanzo and spinach orecchiette with lemon bread crumbs
This is one of those vegan recipes I slip in every once in a while. If it involves pasta - I can pretty much feed my hubby anything. I found this recipe in the Sunset Magazine about a year ago. I've made a few changes and adaptations to it. It makes about 8 cups. Enough for four people. We don't really like left overs unless they are pasta, so we are good with larger pasta recipes.

It comes together pretty quickly. My strategy is to chop up what needs chopping first so I can then focus on the cooking.  Since I'm a pretty slow chopper, it helps me not feel stressed and rushed if I'm trying to chop, cook, etc. all at the same time. That might work for you too.



chopped olive, garlic and red pepper
Then I open the cans.


tomatoes and garbanzo beans
I start cooking!


onions sautéing
Here is the pasta I used.
little ears pasta
Crispy lemon bread crumbs.
crispy lemon bread crumbs cooking
And finally here is the plated dish.




The Recipe:
3 to 4 T Olive oil
small onion chopped (I am not very precise with my chopping, make it as small as you can, but don't overly stress)
2 bay leaves
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped black olives, I used kalamata, but regular black will do
3 cloves a garlic, sliced
1/2 t red chile flakes
1/2 lb. orecchiette pasta (other pasta will do, but I'd stick to something flattish, perhaps the bow ties?)
1 1/2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes (use what you have, I made mine with regular diced and fire roasted crushed tomatoes)
1 can garbanzo beans
1/2 package of fresh baby spinach (you can use frozen, be sure and thaw it)
1/2 t sugar (optional)
lemon juice (optional)
1 cup panko (you can use other bread crumbs, but be sure they are unflavored, because you are going to flavor them with lemon zest)
2 t lemon zest

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. In another pot, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil and add onions, bay leaves. Cook until soft. Add olives, garlic and red pepper, let it sizzle for a minute. Love the fragrance. Add pasta to the water and boil til nearly done about 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile stir tomatoes into the onion mixture and simmer for time it takes to cook the pasta. Scoop a cup of the pasta water and add it to the sauce. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce with the beans and spinach. Cook until the pasta is tender about 5 minutes. Taste it. Add a little sugar or lemon juice or both! While the sauce and pasta are cooking, put a tablespoon of oil in a pan, heat and add the panko and lemon zest. Stir until golden. Spoon pasta into bowls, it will be soupy. Drizzle with a nice olive oil. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and serve.


the ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment